We’ve rounded up a small selection of our favourite things to do in the area.
Wildlife & Nature
- The Kruger National Park is close enough for day trips
- Visit the Jane Goodall chimp sanctuary at Chimpanzee Eden
- The Lowveld Botanical Garden is the perfect place for a leisurely stroll and picnic
- Visit the ancient Sudwala Caves and don’t forget to check out the dinosaur park
- Have an up-close and personal encounter with elephants at the Elephant Sanctuary in Hazyview
- For an adrenalin rush, try some white water rafting at Induna Adventures
- Golf – White River Country Club is set amongst picturesque plantations on the banks of White River. In addition to an 18 hole Championship parkland golf course the club boasts tennis, squash courts, cricket and hockey facilities, with an outstanding swimming pool adjacent to the clubhouse and a swimming pool.
- Hiking and mountain biking – among the many mountain biking destinations in Mpumalanga, Sabie offers trails for both the accomplished and the novice to explore . Take on the mountains, ride and hike through forests with expert guides or by yourself.
- Longtom Toboggan – Excite your soul with Africa’s longest toboggan run.
Art & Museums
- The ceramic art of Anton & Hanlie Bosch at Bosch Ceramic Art Studio
- The ceramics of Esra Bosch at Esra Bosch Studio
- Regular exhibitions and contemporary art at The White River Gallery
- View a collection of immaculate vintage cars and motorcycles at Casterbridge Motor Museum
- Experience the historic town of Pilgrim’s Rest – a living museum
Music & Film
- Catch the latest movies at Riverside Mall’s Emnotweni Cinema
- The Casterbridge Cinema screens a small selection of art house films
- Fresh talent and musical performances at the Casterbridge Music Development Academy
- Picasso’s Mexican Taqueria Restaurant, at White River’s Bagdad Centre, is an upmarket, original & vibey eatery
- Also at Bagdad Centre, Zanna’s Flavour Junction is a contemporary cafe that also sells delectable treats to take home
- Magnolia restaurant and cocktail bar at Casterbridge Lifestyle Centre is a “temple” for foodies
- Also located at Casterbridge, Courtyard Café offers a breakfast and lunch menu that focuses on local, seasonal produce
- Oliver’s Restaurant in White River offers gourmet cuisine in a country setting
- For hearty South African favourites and pub fare, head to Gum Treez Pub & Grill